Learning Mediumship and Becoming a Medium
I get a lot of emails and messages from people who are anxious to share their experiences with me, wondering if they’re going crazy, if they’re really a psychic, or a medium, or what. They usually start out like this: Help! I think I'm a medium! Now what do I do?
First of all, I want you to know that you’re not alone. I’ve been there. Seeing things. Hearing voices. Not knowing what was going on! That's a large part of how I got started on this crazy journey in the first place. There’s a big difference between psychosis and being a psychic-medium though, so I have to encourage anyone who feels that their mental health might be compromised to seek out an expert.
Second of all, let’s get something straight - you are psychic. Everyone is born with these abilities*. Clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, and claircognizance are by and large accessible to everyone.
However, like any skill, most of us require a little bit of work and conscious effort to develop them to a point where we can perceive and understand energy and spirits. How prevalent these abilities are naturally, what good they’ll do you, and how you'll use them to help others (if you want) is where things get really interesting.
Additionally, everyone is born with mediumship abilities*. We are Spirit. We started this life as Spirit, and we’ll end it by returning to that form - communicating with other Spirits can be a bit tricky but it’s something that we are all able to do because it’s as natural as birth, death, and breathing.
(*There are rare exceptions where people are unable to access these abilities due to certain life-paths, certain past-life experiences, etc. But those are the exception, not the rule.)
So now that we’re on the same page, what comes next?
STEP 1: RESEARCH, ABSORB, LEARN
Learn everything you possibly can. Read read read, and then read some more. Listen to podcasts. Watch documentaries! This will help you with feeling overwhelmed and confused by the presence of Spirits in your life, because the more you know and understand, the more comfortable you will be with making decisions about how you want to handle your abilities.
Here are my personal recommendations:
- Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System - Sonia Choquette
- Diary of a Psychic - Sonia Choquette
- Past Lives, Future Loves - Dick Sutphen
- The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent - Esther and Jerry Hicks
- Cauldrons and Cupcakes (a blog)
- Out on a Limb - Shirley MacLaine
- Intuitive Studies: A Complete Course in Mediumship - Gordon Smith
- You are Psychic - Debra Lynne Katz
- Wake Up (a film, sometimes available on Netflix)
- After Life, Answers From the Other Side - John Edward
And don't forget to follow your intuition. Pick up what looks interesting. You've got a unique path to follow, and the only way you'll learn to navigate it is by going with the flow.
As you soak up all of the information and skill you can, here are a few things you can consider:
Find your community.
Finding a community of like-minded individual is good for both practice, for learning, and making friends. The tricky part is finding a community that fits you. The only way to know for sure is to jump in with both feet and give it a shot. Don’t be surprised if you outgrow communities as you develop. There’s nothing wrong with moving on when you’ve learned all you could. Try:
- Online communities on Facebook - there are so many.
- In-person - look for psychic fairs, new age and metaphysical shops, and organizations in your area that connect people around your similar interests.
Exercise your clair-abilities.
These are the “psychic” senses that Spirit uses to communicate with you. Clairvoyance - clear seeing, Clairaudience - clear hearing, Claircognizance - clear knowing, and Clairsentience - clear feeling.
- Tarot is a great gateway to this, because as you try to tune in to the meanings of the cards, you’ll start to get other information (via the clairs) naturally, without even trying.
- Practice and meditation. Meditation and practice. Work with crystals. Work with guided meditations. Practice raising your vibration and bringing your focus to a point where you are open to receiving messages from Spirit. This is such a big topic that it warrants a blog post on its own. I'll add it to my list of things to cover, but until then, get ye to Google or ask around for people's favorite methods. My personal favorite, at the time, was to sit with a crystal for psychic development. Something like amethyst, scolecite, quartz, or kyanite. I'd hold the crystal in my hands, or to my third-eye, and just listen. I listened with my mind's eye, with my body, with my heart, and my head, and took note of whatever came.
- Find a development circle, or a group of other budding mediums with whom to practice with and learn with. Try meetup.com, and a lot of grocery stores have free "New Age" magazines with information about where you can go for free, or low-cost classes and development groups.
Continue with the DIY approach, or find a Teacher.
There may come a point where you feel that you've hit a wall. That's when you might want to look into finding a teacher/mentor/classes geared towards your particular development path. Or, just keep doing what you're doing. Look into best practices so that you can hone your skills. If you want to deliver messages from Spirit to other people, then start practicing doing that! Look for people to trade readings with. Read for yourself. Practice practice practice. And when you feel like you've got the hang of it, well, then have yourself a little party. Are you delivering helpful messages from Spirit? You're a medium.
Besides these very active, straightforward steps, there’s a matter of moving into the light. I firmly believe that if you want to provide a clear connection to spirit, that means living as close to the light as you can, without being dead of course. Why? The higher your vibration, the easier it is for Spirits to communicate with you, and vice versa. Also, the more you live in alignment with your highest and greatest good, the more the right people and experiences will be attracted to you. How can you do this? The two big things are:
- Adjusting your relationships
This means taking care of yourself, doing things that make you and others happy, releasing negative people, negative habits, and negative thoughtforms from your life. This is a tall order to fill, so take it slow. Every little bit counts. Even if for just one day you don’t pass judgment on people or things, that’s good. When you live a “higher vibration” lifestyle, it will be much easier to tap into your abilities and talk to your Guides and other Spirits. I've got a community geared towards living in greater alignment, if you're interested.
And lastly, for the DIY-er, this is a list of all the things that I learned about, and how to do, on my path up to this point.
MY MEDIUMSHIP LEARNING CHECKLIST:
- Clearing a space
- Channeling light
- Managing your energy
- Actively recognizing and using each clair-ability
- Identifying spirits
- Receiving and delivering messages
- Earthbounds, and crossing them over
STEP 2: DAMAGE CONTROL
If the presence of Spirits in your life is at a level that interferes with your health, sanity, or overall well-being, then there are several actions you can take to start living more comfortably.
1. Set Boundaries & Clear Your Space
2. Learn Spirit Discernment
3. Employ Energetic Protection
4. Conquer Your Fear, Turn Down Your Abilities, and if Necessary, Take a Step Back
A lot of these skills you'll learn in Step 1, but if there are gaps in your knowledge, then the internet and mentors can help you out.
STEP 3: DECIDE
What do you want to do with your abilities? You don’t need to decide right away, but take some time to consider how you’re going to manage this reality.
- Do you want to develop your mediumship abilities further?
- Do you want to turn your abilities down and just get on with your life?
- Or do you want to learn more about how your abilities can serve your highest and greatest good, and see where it takes you? (This is a topic that I frequently do readings on.)
Lastly, remember that you are not alone. There are thousands upon thousands of us out there.
Whatever you decide, whenever you decide it, know that there is no wrong answer. There’s only what’s best for you. Follow your heart and your intuition. Everything is going to be magical.